Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Day After the Election


I’m disappointed that today is still a day and age when a woman can’t get voted for president. Issues aside, I’m sad that the country is still not ready for a woman president. But thank you to Hillary for trying. Thank you for trying multiple times to break the glass ceiling. We like to pretend that it isn’t there, but it is. And even though it didn’t work and even though people weren’t ready, thank you for paving the way because next time maybe the world will be ready. But it’ll never happen if no one tries. And Hillary tried, even when it was stacked against her. I wanted to wake up this morning in a world where anyone can marry anyone and where a woman could be president. I wanted to go to work today proud that we are making strives for women. But it didn’t turn out how I thought it would. And as a woman, I feel defeated (on many levels), but I am grateful that Hillary tried. I’m grateful that she is chiseling through the barrier and maybe next time a woman runs for president, the nation will be ready. I will always remember the first time I voted for a woman president. I will be telling this story for years to come. It has been overshadowed by a hostile political environment, but I do believe it is still the start of something great. 

1 comment:

MOM said...

I wish you would write more often because you write so well.