Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My favorite coffee shops in Houston

I am no food critique nor a coffee expert. But I live near some really great coffee shops and I like good coffee. Isn't that enough to have an opinion? And also, people ask me what my favorite places are, so here they are. If you don't agree, that's ok. But these are mine.

1. Blacksmith - Blacksmith is run by the same people as Anvil. If you've been to Anvil, read no further. That is all you need to know. Just like Anvil, they do everything well. I expected nothing less from the Anvil people. (Which is how I feel about Pastry war, too, so my next blog might be on my favorite margaritas). Back to Blacksmith - Possibly the best coffee in the city, in my opinion. It's adorable inside, good coffee, wi-fi, and amazing biscuits. What more do you want? The drawbacks are they keep the temperature cold  and there are no couches. This works for me, because I usually need to work, but if I want to read a book and relax, I usually don't go here. And one of the biggest perks - they make their own almond milk and it's amazing. Try the flat white. Add vanilla. You will not go wrong.

2. Southside Espresso - This is my newest fave. It's everything you think a hipster coffee shop should look like. They have wi-fi, good coffee, beer, wine, and all the milk substitutes. Oh and they have Topo Chico. Did I mention it's hipster? A lady walked in last week and ordered "A coconut milk latte and a vegan muffin." I love Houston. If you're not vegan, don't worry they have all the other pastries, too. Although, I haven't actually tried the pastries, so I can't speak from experience, but I'm sure they're good. Oh and there is always room to sit, which is a huge plus. It's a little hidden gem behind Uchi on Westheimer and it's good.

3. Catalina's coffee - Before I discovered #1 and #2, this was my Houston fave. And it's still darn good coffee. This is where I go to read. They don't have wi-fi, so I usually can't work here. But they have a great couch where I make myself comfortable and read.  Also, they don't have almond milk. I try to not drink real milk, so this is a draw back for me. They have soy milk, though. But if you want to splurge on the real deal, it's good. I promise.

4. Revival Market - This is a neighborhood favorite. On so many levels. They have good coffee and also a good latte. They have almond and soy milk. They are a meat-centric market, so apparently they do meat well. I don't actually know from experience, but I don't doubt it's good. After you get your coffee, shop for local produce. We once got breakfast in exchange for blood oranges from our tree. They are not kidding about being local. Love this place. It's a great little place and is so much more than a coffee shop. If you've never been, you must stop by and check it out. This is the heights. And I love it.

You only get 4, because for me, there is a drop off from these four to all the other coffee shops. That's just how much I like them. If you like good coffee, you'll like them, too. You will.

I have been to pretty much most coffee places in the heights/montrose area. If I didn't mention it, it's probably because I don't consider it to be on the same level as these. But let me know what your fave is and if I haven't been there, I will be sure to try it out.


No comments: